The inaugural Neighborhood Homes Tour was held May 22, 2011. Four neighborhood homes participated in the tour.

The Sing House – 1705 Willow

Sing House (click to enlarge)

Born in China as Jo Fung Sheng in 1860, Joe Sing immigrated to the United States around 1890 to financially support his family. He settled in Austin, becoming one of the first Chinese immigrants in the City of Austin. Sing opened Hong Lee Laundry on 311 W. 5th street, which he ran along with his wife, Francis (Moreno), a Mexican- American woman who lost her U.S. citizenship for marrying a Chinese man.  Joe and Francis had four children, including Margaret, who bought a family home at 1705 Willow St, becoming the first homeowner in the family. When Margaret Sing passed away in 2006 she left her home to her great great nephew Raul Aguallo Hernandez, who has been restoring the home for the past four years.

Jo Fung Sheng nació en China en 1860. Alrededor de 1890 llegó a los Estados Unidos, se cambió el nombre a Joe Sing, y se estableció en Austin, convirtiéndose en uno de los primeros inmigrantes de China en la ciudad de Austin. Sing abrió un negocio de lavandería, Hong Lee, en 311 West 5th Street, y lo manejó junto con su esposa, Francis (Moreno). Francis, de descendencia mexico-americana, perdió su ciudadanía americana al casarse con un chino. Joe y Francis tuvieron cuatro hijos, incluyendo a Margaret, que compró la casa en 1705 Willow St., convirtiéndose en la primera persona de su familia que tenía casa propia. Cuando Margaret murió en el 2006, la casa pasó a ser propiedad de un sobrino, Raúl Aguallo Hernández, quien en los últimos cuatro años se ha dedicado a restaurarla.

The Morris-Lung House – 1605 Canterbury

Morris-Lung House (click to enlarge)

The ca. 1905 Morris-Lung house was built by William Morris, a local constable and later occupied by the Lung family from 1917 to 1960.  The Lung family owned one of the first Chinese restaurants in the City.  Family friends rented the house until the mid-1960s. The current owners have recently restored the house in period detail including  work on the second story (added around 1916) and a new front entry porch.

Esta casa, construida a principios de siglo,estuvo habitada por la familia Lung desde1917 hasta 1960. La familia estableció unode los primeros restaurantes chinos en laciudad de Austin. Amigos de la familiarentaron la casa en la década de los 1960.Recientemente, los propietarios hanrestaurado la casa a su estado original, incluyendo los cuartos del segundo pisoy la entrada principal.

The Evans-Morris-Neisler House – 1000 East Cesar Chavez

Evans-Morris-Neisler House (click to enlarge)

The Evans-Morris-Neisler House, built in 1899, was the second built in Austin for the affluent George and Augusta Evans family.  Irregular in plan and complex in form, the two and a half story house has nearly 4,500 square feet of interior living space and an additional 1,600 square feet of covered porch and balcony wrapping around three sides of the upper and lower floors. The nine-room home was built by Jonathon D. Riley for $2,600, which included a large barn behind the home that no longer remains.  The building currently houses three businesses and serves as a landmark in the community and the City.

La casa Evans-Morris-Neisler, construida en 1899, fue la segunda casa construida para la familia de George y Augusta Evans en Austin. El plan de la casa es irregular y la forma es compleja, con un espacio interior de casi 4,500 pies cuadrados en una construcción de dos pisos y medio, con 1,600 pies cuadrados adicionales de terrazas y balcones cubiertos alrededor de tres lados de la casa, tanto en el primero como en el segundo piso. Esta casa de nueve habitaciones fue construida por Jonathon D. Riley a un costo de $2,600, que también incluía un amplio cobertizo detrás de la casa, que ahora ya no existe. El edificio es ahora la sede de tres oficinas y  es reconocido en la comunidad y en la ciudad.

The Mooreland-Roberts House – 1302 E. Cesar Chavez

Mooreland-Roberts House (click to enlarge)

The Mooreland-Roberts house was built by C. B. Mooreland in 1897.  Mr. Mooreland owned a painting business located on Congress Avenue and is credited with painting the original star in the state capitol rotunda. The Mooreland family owned the house into the 1920s.  It was divided into apartments in the 1940s, changing the original layout of the house. It was purchased by its current owner in 2002 and was carefully restored to reflect its Victorian-era heritage of bright colors, spindle work, decorated gables and bay windows.

La Residencia Mooreland-Roberts fue construida por C. B. Mooreland en 1897. El Sr. Mooreland era dueño de un negocio de pintura en Congress Avenue, y se cree que fue él quien pintó la estrella original en la rotunda del Capitolio. La familia Mooreland fue dueña de esta casa hasta mediados de los 1920. En la década de los 1940 la casa se dividió en apartamentos, cambiándole el diseño original. El propietario actual compró la casa en el 2002 y la restauró cuidadosamente para que reflejara la influencia de la época victoriana en cuanto a colores brillantes, trabajo de marquetería, techos decorados y ventanales.

Return to the Historic Preservation Page